Monday, October 8, 2007

Interviews with JaxSpikers - Part 1

Face To face with the Retiring Jax Spikers
(Thomas, Madhu, Sujit and Raju)- October 7, 2007

Posted on October 8, 2007

Transcribed Interview - part 1 (Interview with Thomas)

THE INTERVIEWER: Tharikida Thampuran (TT)


In the midst of all the media focus on the "retirement announcemnt" by 4(latest news update, Raju Karappan has also joined the "retiree bandwagon).


Although all 4 of the players have been vehemently reiterating their claims that "they are not retiring", and that its just a vacation, a break.

All 4 of them have repeatedly refused to talk to the media after the announcement which was telecast live on Prime TV.

However, one of our special news correspondents, Mr Tharikida Thampuran, brought in especially from Vayanaad to provide news coverage on sensational stories, managed to meet up with all 4 of the "retiring" players on exclusive one-on-one interviews. Following are the excerpts from the interviews presented in a 3 part series

Thampuran managed to catch up with Thomas, at his ranch in St Augustine, where usually he spends most of his post season time. As always, Thomas was prompt for the meeting. Thomas was busy writing something in his notepad with a pencil that was sharpened recently( you could still see traces of lead dust on the notebook)

TT: What was the walk like as you left the court for the final time? Was it emotional?
(thampuran noticed a slight look of dismay, maybe anger on Thomas' face)
Thomas: Was it emotional?

TT: What emotions were going through you?
Thomas: I don't know. I couldn't make sense of any of my emotions, to be quite honest.

TT: What are your feelings now?
Thomas: Still not terribly sure. You know, it just felt amazing out there. It felt amazing. Nothing I've ever experienced before. I was just overwhelmed by the way the fans embraced me at the end. You know, they saw me through my career. They've seen me through this, as well.
(Thomas rubbed his eye in a deft movement as if dust had flown into his eyes, but what thampuran thought was a tiny droplet of tear let loose by the surge of emotions that ran through him)

Let me clarify, I am not retiring, as the media wants to make it sound like. I am just taking a break, just a simple break, some call it vacation. They do this when they want to get out of all the chaos and spend some quality time with family.

Thampuran noticed the extreme irritation in Thomas' voice, but persisted with his questions..

TT: I imagine you heard the comments your coach had shared about wishing that you had announced your retirement after the North-south match itself. I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind talking about why that wasn't the choice you made and if you've had a chance to talk with him about it.
Thomas: Well, because if I wanted to quit, I would have done that a long time ago. I didn't come here to quit. I am going to come back next season, a different player, a better player, maybe the best player...

TT: What were the first things that your wife said after the match and what did you say to her?
Thomas: Oh, I'll just take a pass on that one, sorry.
(that one question did seem to make Thomas a lil uncomfortable, and for a second his thoughts seemed to wander away, and his hands went up as if by accident to close his ears liek he didn't want to hear anything, was it thampuran's questions??)

TT: If I may ask, how do you plan to spend your retirement, i mean vacation?
Thomas: For one thing, I am really going to keep away from all things volleyball. ( He cast a fleeting glance on his notebook). I am going to spend all the time with my family. We are planning a vacation to India in February, I am looking forward to that.
(Thomas' eyes became cloudy, even though his words stressed on his determination to get away from volleyball, his eyes betrayed his longing to be on court.)

TT: Well, good luck on your retirement and the next phase of your life, I mean good luck on your vacation, we hope to see you around next season
Thomas: yeah, you can be sure of that..especially when I am going to totally keep away from volleyball for the next 6 months.

As Thampuran walked away, he peeked into the notebook that Thomas was scribbling on; Thomas was writing something on a sketch of a volleyball court with player positions marked, and he seemed to be experimenting with strategies for the next season. hats off to true dedication..

 

Sujit

 

To be continued...

Part 2: Interview with Sujit and Madhu

Part 3: Interview with Raju and Thampuran's conclusion

 

© www.sujitg.com All rights Reserved

JaxSpikers welcomes your views and encourages lively -- but civil -- discussions. Comments are moderated, and submissions reported as abusive may be removed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TT, the interviews are super!! How did you manage to arm twist these busy people to spare time for you?

By the way, what do the other players feel about this 'retirement' confusion? And what do the fans have to say? I am sure in a couple of months the retirees ... oops vacationers, will learn that playing volleyball was the real 'quality' time ;-)

And Best of Luck to Raju!! Have fun vacationers!!