Monday, October 8, 2007

Interviews with JaxSpikers - Part 2

 

Face To face with the Retiring Jax Spikers
(Thomas, Madhu, Sujit and Raju)- October 7, 2007

Posted on October 8, 2007

Transcribed Interview - part 2 (Interview with Madhu and Sujit)

THE INTERVIEWER: Tharikida Thampuran (TT)

(For those who came in late, part 1 of the interview is available at Interview Part 1 - with Thomas)

 

After interviewing Thomas, Thampuran then went on to meet with Madhu and Sujit at their lakeside condo in the heart of Jacksonville city. Being neighbors, they agreed to meet up with Thampuran at Sujit's place.

As Sujit opened the door he smiled and let Thampuran in, and just as if he remembered something, he started limping. Thampuran gently brushed aside Sujit's pot belly that was obstructing his way and walked inside and he was immediately greeted by Madhu. As he came across to shake hands with Thampuran, madhu winced as if in pain...

Madhu: My shoulder hurts, I just cannot play volleyball.
Sujit: Didn't you see me limping, I cannot walk, even I cannot play volleyball.
TT: Well, I thought I was the interviewer( Smiles). Anyways, I have seen you guys play even when you had bigger injuries, whats different now?

Madhu: Nothing man, you see, age catches up with some people earlier than others(running his fingers through the remaining stubs of hair on his head). And besides, I am losing interest in the game and so, thought it'd be better to take a break..mind you just a break..

Sujit: A man gotta live, right? Some play to live, others live to play..(and as if amused by a great joke, he lets out a low laugh.. madhu and TT look at each other, obviously not understanding what the context was. Sujit was known to make comments that made sense probably only to him. When he was a star, the media lapped it up like hungry hyenas, but now...)

TT: Sujit, I heard that you were very serious about retirement and that you have been injury-prone the whole of last season. So you are really going to retire, or just take a vacation?

Sujit: Yes, injuries have plagued me the whole of last season and the break will help me heal and then take a decision on whether I should come back into major league games next season. But let me tell you, (there was a hint of anger in his voice) I am not retiring.

TT: Madhu, what are your thoughts?

Madhu: Yes, I am also only taking a break, some time off will help me lose some weight and get fit.
(At this point thampuran looked completely perplexed, and he stole a glance at Sujit...who sat there oblivious to the hint thrown at him by thampuran)

TT: What is the real reason for your retirement? There has been lot of news lately that the pathetic way that both of you played last season was the reason you guys were forced to retire. Is that true?

Madhu: Of course not, if we played bad, can you tell us who played perfect? Of course, some people played better than us, this season was better for them, does not mean that we cannot play..
(Madhu seemed to lose his cool and just as he was about to pull out the few remaining strands of hair from his head... then stopped..)

TT: Sujit, I was given to understand that you also suffer from high BP. Is that a reason for your retirement? By BP I meant...

Sujit: (Cuts off thampuran in the middle of the sentence)....of course of course..that is also one reason...you know I am taking toporol XL 100mg Altace, diovan, ....( and after what seemed like a long 2 seconds of 100's of formulary descriptions...as soon as Sujit paused to catch a breath, thampuran quickly clarified his question)

TT: No no...by BP I meant "Bharya Pedi"...meaning fear of your wife ..we heard that your wife threatened to stop cooking for you if you continued playing volleyball after she watched you play so miserably in the recently concluded Gandhi memorial tournament..

Just then the cell phone rings...it was JaxSpikers team captain, Aby

Sujit: No Aby, no...I cannot come today..Madhu? No, I think he will also not able to make it....yes...yes...thats true too...no..I was thinking not to ..but...well..let me see....(holds his hand over the mouthpiece)...Madhu... they are playing at 7, and they are short of 2 players...do u wanna play today?

Madhu: No buddy..I will have to check with my wife..(mechanically, he just rubs his left cheek..wonder what he was thinking about...then as if making a quick decision after weighing in all worst case scenarios..)..ok...I will come..its already 6:55..make it fast...

Sujit: Ok..Aby...we'll be there...see you... Thampuran we appreciate your time..but we have to go out for a few mins....we will catch up later...close the dorr when you leave...will ya?

TT: Are you going for a volleyball practice???

They both had already left. Thampuran gathered his notes from the interview and left. He had a 7:30 meeting with Raju

 

Sujit

 

To be continued...

Part3: Interview with Raju and Thampuran's conclusion

 

© www.sujitg.com All rights Reserved

JaxSpikers welcomes your views and encourages lively -- but civil -- discussions. Comments are moderated, and submissions reported as abusive may be removed.

No comments: